Tuesday, July 27, 2010

So this is my blog.

I'm a little late starting this, so I'll have to post more than four times a week. I've already read HTRLLAP, and I'm about 2/5 done with Catch-22. These last few weeks of summer are gonna be filled with a lot of reading, so let's get this started. But for now, I'll just talk really briefly about what I've read so far in Catch-22.

There's a lot of humor and sarcasm present in the writings and in the characters regarding the serious topic of war. Yossarian, the main character, seems especially sarcastic. Furthermore, ironically (and it's even pointed out within the text), the crazier Yossarian's stunts become to avoid war, the more sane he seems to his peers. This raises an interesting question about morals versus pride.

The most striking literary element to me so far in this book is flight. The characters take on anthropomorphic attributes when they step into their jets, yet most of them are reluctant to participate in the war. It's easy to see why, though - each mission puts them at a huge risk of death. We'll see how this plays out in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment