Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Catch-22: Chapter 16

Chapter 16 of Catch-22 was definitely the most interesting part of the book so far. Titled "Luciana" after the woman Yossarian meets in a night club, we experience a day in Rome on the soldiers' day-off... filled with lots of booze and sex.

There are two interesting points that I got out of this chapter:

1. Irony. The holy city of Rome, Italy, during wartime is pervading with much temptation and rated-R fun. What this means - I don't know.

2. Evil. The chapter title gives it away: Luciana sounds a lot like Lucifer, or the devil. The author is pretty blatant with the allusion, using words such as "gluttony" and displaying Yossarian's lust and pride. That's at least three out of the seven deadly sins, and I'm sure there are a lot more.

That's it. Hopefully we'll see what else happens in Rome and how, if at all, Yossarian's relationship with Luciana develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment