Saturday, August 14, 2010

Catch-22: Chapter 2, Part 8

Here's a quote that I thought could be pretty significant: "Our surgeons can alter people beyond recognition. Sometimes it is necessary. Sometimes we even amputate a limb."

There are two things that I noticed from it:

1. The theme of identity. Is one willing to change himself, his ideals, morals, beliefs, his entire being, in order to take action toward a cause? Here, it seems that Winston is. It seems like when he comes out of this ordeal, he'll be a totally different person than when he started. It's even a little ironic because he wanted to do this so he could be himself and think and act freely, yet he's willing to give up his whole being.

2. "Sometimes we even amputate a limb." Right when I read this, I thought back to Syme. His name is a type of surgery where limbs are removed, so that was a pretty obvious reference to the character. We know that Syme disappeared and was removed from the records, so we don't know what that means for Winston. Will his fate parallel Syme's?

It seems like this novel isn't really going toward a happy ending, but one can hope. I'm anticipating the result of Winston's efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment